Man arrested for allegedly stabbing pregnant woman at convenience store on Shore Drive | News
Police say a Norfolk man has been arrested for stabbing a pregnant woman at a convenience store yesterday.
It happened around 5:30 p.m. Monday evening at the 7-Eleven store located in the 9600 block of Shore Drive and East Ocean View Avenue. Police say the man stabbed the woman while robbing the store.
Norfolk police have arrested 48-year-old Lewis Madison Belcher, of the 1000 block of West Ocean View Avenue.
Belcher has been charged with one count of Robbery and one count of Felonious Assault. He is currently in jail, with no bond.
The pregnant woman remains in stable condition at Norfolk Sentara General Hospital, officials say.
According to police, the incident began Monday evening when the woman went to leave the 7-Eleven store on Shore Drive, and was approached by the suspect in the parking area. The suspect demanded a deposit bag that the woman was holding, and he stabbed her. He then stole the deposit bag and ran off.
Officers searched the area and were able to apprehend Belcher without incident.
Top Virginia Beach Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man hospitalized, home condemned after Newport News fire
- Medal of Valor award for off-duty Newport News firefighter
- Prosecutors will not pursue misdemeanor charges against Newport News officer
- Truck strikes two utility poles in Newport News, closures in place
- Raccoon tests positive for rabies in Newport News neighborhood
- UPDATE: Bond denied for woman charged in Ocean View Inn crash
- Councilman questions colleague, ‘You should be on the side of black folks’
- Person shot in Norfolk near Newtown Road
- Bands rock out in Norfolk to benefit teen’s charity for the homeless
- Update: Police officer kills man at Norfolk Wells Fargo; deceased suspect identified